Number of Americans who killed themselves with a gun in 2010.
Suicides by gun accounted for about six of every 10 firearm deaths in 2010 and just over half of all suicides, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Since the CDC began publishing data in 1981, gun suicides have outnumbered gun homicides. But as gun homicides have declined sharply in recent years, suicides have become a greater share of all firearm deaths: the 61% share in 2010 was the highest on record. That year there were 19,392 suicides by firearm compared to 11,078 homicides by gun (35% of all firearm deaths). The rest were accidents, police shootings and unknown causes.
IN terms of both raw numbers and population rates, gun suicides have been on the rise in recent years, even as gun homicides have fallen. In 2010, the gun suicide rate was 6.3 per 100,000 people, compared with 3.6 per 100,000 for gun homicides.
At 87%, males are the vast majority of gun suicides. By age group, people 65 and older have the highest firearm suicide rate: 10.6 per 100,000 people.
My Two Cents
This I know to be true.....
1. No one device will end suicides
2. There will always be guns. Even if banned there will still be guns remember Prohibition?
3. If someone is hell bent on Suicide if they can't find a gun they will find another way.
4. Will the Safety Bullet end suicides? Of course not. Could it save some from killing themselves yes I believe it can.
5. If a child or loved one that is not the owner of the gun is depressed and knows that there is a gun in the house. They will keep looking until they find it. In a moment of despair put it to their person and pull the trigger. If the Safety Bullet is loaded the gun will go clink! That firearm just became deactivated. The non gun owner will have no idea what just happened other than they were just given a second chance to think about what they almost did! Maybe, just maybe it will be enough to send them to therapy. I can only pray that it will.
6. There is no perfect solution but this is a good start.
For those of you that hate this idea, please show me something better or better yet invent something that you think is better! I will support you in any way that I can. And how can you hate a product thats only mission is to make firearms safer?